Singapore Personalised Employment Pass Scheme

If you are looking for a work pass that does not tie you down to one employer, the Singapore Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) is for you. Find out how to apply, the eligibility criteria and required documents.

What is a Singapore Personalised Employment Pass?

A Singapore Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) is a special type of employment pass that is not linked to a specific employer. PEPs are meant for highly qualified individuals who wish to work in Singapore. 

This pass allows you to switch employment in Singapore without re-applying for an entry visa - as long as the holder is not unemployed for longer than six months. 

How does a Personalised Employment Pass differ from an Employment Pass? 

They are similar in several ways. Both passes allow pass holders to live and work in Singapore, travel in and out of Singapore without entry visas, and bring family members over to Singapore under Dependent’s Passes and Long-Term Visit Passes.

However, Personalised Employment Pass holders are subject to several additional requirements:
  • You are not allowed to start a business in Singapore. This includes being an employee of your own company, or engaging in entrepreneurial activities. However, you can be salary-drawing directors of a company that you do not own.
  • Personalised Employment Pass holders must earn a fixed salary of S$144,000 per year throughout the duration of the pass.

How do I qualify for a Personalised Employment Pass? 

You’ll need to meet one of the following criteria: 
  • You are an Employment Pass holder earning a minimum salary of S$12,000 monthly, and have earned a fixed annual salary of at least S$144,000 in the previous year.
  • You are an overseas professional with a last drawn fixed salary of at least S$18,000 a month. Your last drawn salary should not be more than six months from the time of the PEP application.

What documents do I need to apply for a Personalised Employment Pass? 

If you are an existing Employment Pass holder, you do not need to provide any additional documents. However, you will need to fill in the following details on your Personalised Employment Pass application form:  
  • Details of your passport
  • Name and address of employer, if available
  • Job and salary details, if available
  • Local contact details (for overseas professionals, the local contact details can be furnished upon approval)
  • Details of Dependent’s Pass holders, if applicable
  • Details of long-term social visit pass holders, if applicable
If you are not an Employment Pass holder, you will need to provide the following additional documents: 
  • A copy of the personal particulars page of your passport
  • The employment contract of your new and/or previous employment, if any
  • Past three months’ salary slips and bank account statements
  • Latest tax statement
  • A copy of your latest resume and relevant educational certificates
Please note that any non-English documents must be submitted together with an official English translation done by a certified translator, High Commission/Embassy or a notary public.

Visit the Personalised Employment Passes for other frequently asked questions

How long does it take to process my Personalised Employment Pass application? 

Most applications are processed within eight (8) weeks. 

Once your application is approved, you will be sent an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter, which is valid for six (6) months. You should collect your pass within this period from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) office in Singapore. You will also need to bring any other documents that are requested in the letter. 

A Personalised Employment Pass is valid for three years. Your dependents who are on a PEP-sponsored Dependent’s Pass will be allowed to stay in Singapore as long as your pass is valid.

What do I need to do to maintain my Personalised Employment Pass?

You will need to keep the authorities up-to-date on your contact and employment information. There are two methods of notification: 
1) The PEP Notification Form
2) Employment Pass Online Account (EPOL). 

To open an EPOL account, you’ll need to login with Singpass - an online gateway used for transactions with the Singapore Government.  You can apply for a Singpass here

Update the following information with the PEP Notification Form:
  • Changes in employment status, which needs to be updated within 7 days. Your employer is also required to inform authorities about your change in employment status with the Notification Form for Employers.
  • Change of local contact
  • Annual salary, which needs to be declared within 30 days from the last day of each calendar year.
Update the following information with your EPOL account: 
  • Changes or renewals of travel documents
  • Lost or damaged PEP cards - you need to apply for a replacement card via EPOL
  • Change of residential address

How do I renew my Personalised Employment Pass?

Unlike the other work passes, the Personalised Employment Pass cannot be renewed upon expiration of the three-year period. Upon expiration, you could continue to work in Singapore with an Employment Pass or you can apply for permanent residency.

You can also cancel your pass at any point of time. Once cancelled, you will not be able to apply for a new Personalised Employment Pass.

For more information about the Personalised Employment Passes, visit the PEP FAQs and the Ministry of Manpower website.

Get help to apply for your Singapore visa(s)

Hawksford are renowned for supporting entrepreneurs and foreign companies and their employees establish their roots in Singapore.

Find out how Hawksford can help