Personalised Employment Pass Frequently Asked Questions

If you are looking for a work pass that provides more flexibility and doesn't tie you down to one employer, the Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) may be the work pass you should apply for. Get answers to some of the frequently asked questions about the PEP and find out if you are eligible to apply for it.

  • No. The Personalised Employment Pass is not for business owners or independent freelancers, which means that PEP holders are not eligible to start their own business nor engage in any entrepreneurial activity in Singapore. PEP holders cannot be employed by their own company; the PEP pass is only meant for foreigners who are employed by a third-party employer.

  • You are not eligible for the PEP if you are:

    • An Employment Pass holder under the sponsorship scheme
    • A freelancer or foreigner who intends to work on a freelance-basis
    • A sole proprietor, partner or director and shareholder in an ACRA-registered company
    • A journalist, editor, sub-editor or producer
  • The PEP is issued for a three-year period and is non-renewable. Assuming the PEP holder has not obtained Singapore Permanent Residence status, (s)he will have to apply for an Employment Pass in order to continue working in Singapore after the expiry of the three-year period. If the Employment Pass application is not successful, the PEP holder will not be able to continue working in Singapore upon the expiry of the PEP after the three-year validity.

  • No. It is not mandatory for PEP holders to obtain approval from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) when switching jobs. However, it is important to note that PEP holders still need to notify and update the MOM on their current job status. The notification must be sent within seven days of the change in employment by emailing a Notification Form to the MOM. The pass holder’s current and previous employers are also required to notify MOM by emailing the relevant Notification Form.

  • Yes. PEP holders can apply for Permanent Residence (PR) provided (s)he is employed at the point of making the PR application. It is not necessary to wait until the PEP expires in order to apply for Singapore PR. Please note that the PR application is subject to approval by the authorities.

  • All PEP holders are required to earn a minimum annual fixed salary of SGD $144,000.

  • If the salary requirement is not met, your PEP will be cancelled and you will be issued a Short Term Visit Pass, which will allow you to remain in Singapore. In the event you decide to work in Singapore again, your prospective employer must apply for an Employment Pass for you.

  • Yes. You can request for a multiple entry visa at the time of applying for the PEP. A multiple entry visa allows you to freely enter and leave Singapore during the validity period of your PEP.

  • The PEP only allows you to stay up to a maximum period of 6 continuous months without a job in Singapore. If you are unable to find suitable employment within this 6-month period, your PEP will be cancelled.

  • You will sponsor yourself and your dependants (spouse and children). No banker’s guarantee is required.

  • The MOM requires a local contact person (Singaporean citizen or PR, of at least 21 years old) in the event of an emergency. Your local contact person is not liable for your PEP application in any way.