Dependant Pass Frequently Asked Questions
If you are planning to move to Singapore for work and looking to bring your family members with you, they may be eligible to apply for a Dependant's Pass. Here, we answer some of the most frequently asked questions about the Dependant's Pass in Singapore.
What is the best time to apply for Dependant's Pass for family members?
You can apply for your family’s Dependant’s Pass (DP) at the time of applying for your work pass or after its approval. The following guidelines apply:
- If you apply for Dependant's Passes for your family members together with your own work pass, they will be processed simultaneously. This approach is faster, but do note that if your work pass is not successful for any reason, you would have incurred the unnecessary expenses in applying for the Dependant’s Passes.
- The alternative approach is to apply for the Dependant’s Passes after your work pass application is successful. This will mean that your family members will have to wait for a few more weeks before they can collect their Dependant’s Passes.
Who is eligible to apply for Dependant's Pass?
The Dependant's Pass (DP) is available for spouse and unmarried children below 21 years age (including legally adopted) of work pass holders (i.e. Employment Pass, EntrePass, PEP, or S pass holders who are earning at least $6,000 a month).
Whilst the DP visa is not available for the common law spouse of a work pass holder, the common law spouse is usually eligible to apply for a Long-Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) subject to certain conditions.
- You can apply for the DP along with the work pass application or at any point after the work pass approval.
- If all documents are in order, the DP will most likely be approved.
- Parents and children who are not eligible for DP may be eligible to apply for Long-Term Social Visit Pass.
- A DP is tied to a work pass and it's expiry date is the same as the expiry date of the corresponding work pass.
Can children on Dependant's Pass attend local public school in Singapore?
Yes, a child on a Dependant’s Pass can enrol into a local Singapore school. However, admission is subject to availability of vacancies in the local school. Foreigners have the least priority when it comes to getting admitted into local schools. The priority goes to Singapore citizens first, followed by permanent residents, and finally, dependant’s pass and student pass holders. Therefore, it is often not easy for DP holders to enrol into top local schools.
However, should you have a keen interest to enrol your child, you should contact the local school of your choice and enquire about the possibility of your child’s admission into the school.
Can the spouse on a Dependant's Pass work in Singapore?
If you are on Dependant’s Pass (DP) visa and have secured a job in Singapore, your prospective employer will need to apply for a Letter of Consent (LOC). There are no minimum salary requirements, but do note that approval is subject to the discretion of the authorities.
You can only start work after the employer has received the LOC from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). The application process can take 3 weeks.
The LOC must be renewed when the DP is being renewed. MOM will send the LOC renewal form to the employer approximately three months before the pass expires. The completed form should be submitted at least four weeks before the LOC expires.
As long as you are working in Singapore, you will be liable to pay personal taxes as per the applicable personal tax rates in Singapore.
Your LOC is cancelled when your DP is cancelled, or when you are no longer employed by the company. Upon termination, your employer is required to notify MOM that you are no longer working for the company. There is no effect on your DP.
Alternatively, you can file for an Employment Pass and, if approved, thereby converting your DP into an EP. When applying for EP, your application will be evaluated as per the requirements of the EP. If your EP is not approved, you will continue to hold your DP.
For how long is the Dependant's Pass valid?
The expiry of Dependant's Pass is tied to the sponsoring Employment Pass.