Sign up for Singapore business updates

Our emails keep you informed about important changes in Singapore to help you manage your business effectively as well as our upcoming events.

Sign up now

Renouncing Singapore Permanent Residence

You can cancel your Singapore permanent residence (PR) if your re-entry permit is still valid and you have decided to renounce your PR status for whatever reason. The following documents will be required:

  •  Your original passport (Please place a tab or post-it on the page with your current, valid REP, for our cancellation)
  • Your PR card, i.e. NRIC
  • Photocopy of your passport pages showing name, date of birth, passport number, passport issue date, passport expiry date
  • Original Certificate of Identity, if you were issued one
  • Original REP card, if you were issued one
  • Malaysian Restricted Passport, if you were issued one
  • A letter addressed to Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) of Singapore stating:
    • That you wish to renounce your Singapore Permanent Residence;
    • Your request for a letter stating that you are no longer a PR of Singapore;
    • Include your complete contact details: address, phone and office numbers, and email address, for ease of communication
  • Any other relevant documents issued to you by the Singapore Government agencies such as ICA, Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Manpower, etc.
  • Return Self-addressed, stamped USPS (US Post Office) EXPRESS MAIL envelope for the return of your passport to you.

If you are in Singapore, you can visit ICA office and renounce your PR. If you are overseas, you can usually visit the nearest Singapore embassy/consulate or courier them the required documents for processing. Double-check with the embassy/consulate of Singapore in your jurisdiction for their exact procedure & requirements. There is no fee charged for cancellation of your Singapore PR. Once your documents are processed, the ICA in Singapore will send you a letter confirming that you are no longer a permanent resident of Singapore.

After your permanent residence status has been canceled, you may withdraw your CPF balance in full. In order to withdraw your CPF, you can fill-out the application form listed at here and mail the required documents as mentioned in the application form. Upon approval of your application, if you have any income tax liabilities they will be settled from your CPF balance first. The remaining CPF balance due to you can be wire transferred to your bank account anywhere in the world. The processing time for CPF withdrawal can take anywhere between 2-4 weeks.

Need help to renounce your PR status?

Hawksford are have a team of experts that can help make any move you make the right one.

View immigration support services

Need help with immigration or relocation?

Contact us directly to get your immigration and relocation issues sorted out. It's easy and quick. Let us help you get established in Singapore.

Find out more

Back to top