Driving in Singapore: Converting a Foreign Driving Licence
A foreigner above 18 years of age and holding a Work Pass/Dependent Pass/Student Pass may drive in Singapore with a valid (class 3, 3A or 2B) foreign licence, for a period of not more than 12 months. A Singapore driving licence is required after 12 months.
If you are holding a driving licence issued outside of Singapore, you should check if there is a need for you to convert your foreign driving licence to a Singapore driving licence before you begin driving in Singapore.
If you are a Singapore citizen or permanent resident, you can drive in Singapore only after you obtain a Singapore driving licence. You must convert your foreign driving licence to Singapore driving licence as soon as possible if you want to drive in Singapore.
New Singapore citizens and permanent residents must convert their foreign driving licences within three months of obtaining citizenship or permanent resident status.
Step 1: Pass the Singapore Basic Theory Test (BTT)
To convert your foreign licence to a Singapore driving licence, you must pass the Singapore BTT. Overseas theory test results are not admissible for consideration.
You will need create an account with any of the three driving centres below before you can book your BTT. Bookings can be done in person or online.
Step 2: Apply for conversion
You must apply for conversion at the Traffic Police Test Centre counter located in the driving centres (stated above) in person. Please bring these items, where applicable:
- Original and a photocopy of your passport and NRIC/entry permit/employment pass/dependent pass/social visit pass/work permit
- Original and a photocopy of a valid foreign driving licence
- One recent matte passport-sized colour photograph of you with a white background, eyes looking straight, and both ears and eyebrows visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for religious purposes, and glasses worn should not be tinted;
- A processing fee of $50 (payment by CashCard and NETS only)
- If your foreign driving licence is not in English, you must have one of these:
- International driving permit; or
- An official translation of your driving licence in English obtained from the relevant Embassy, High Commission, or any Singapore registered translation companies. (Translation is not required for licences issued by Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia.)
- If your foreign driving licence does not have the 1st date of issue, you are required to obtain an extract of driving licence record from the Licensing Authority
- Foreign driving licence must be obtained prior to the issuance of your Work Pass/Dependant Pass/Student Pass, etc
Additional requirements if you are a Singapore citizen or permanent resident
You must show documentary that you have studied or worked in a foreign country for one year or more, e.g. education transcripts or tax returns documents. You must also have stayed in that foreign country for a total period of at least six months within a period of 12 months .
If you hold a foreign driving licence that expired with your foreign visa, you must obtain a written extract from the foreign licence-issuing authority. The extract should show the following:
- Your driving test passing date
- Date of issue of your foreign driving licence
- Class of licence attained
- Your driving record
You must register for the BTT test within three months of returning to Singapore.
- Once the licence is issued to you (approximately within two weeks of making an application), you will be placed on probation for one year. You should not accumulate more than 12 during this period. If you do, the Traffic Police may revoke your licence. You are required to display the Probation Plate during the probationary period of one year.
- For foreigners, your Singapore driving licence will be valid for five years from the date of issuance as indicated on the driving licence and you have to renew your Singapore driving licence with the Traffic Police Department within one month before the expiry date as indicated on the driving licence.
- For Singaporeans and permanent residents, your Singapore Driving Licence is valid for lifetime and no renewal is required.